Submit now for the 28th Annual Pittsburgh New Works Festival!
Deadline for entry is March 31 at 11:59pm
Submit before February 28 for “Early Bird” submission discount.
The Pittsburgh New Works Festival (PNWF) is now accepting one-act plays that have never before been produced. Twelve one-act plays will be selected to be performed as Mainstage productions for the festival’s 28th season, which begins in September; an additional six will be selected for our LabWorks staged reading series, to be performed the last two Sundays of August.
Each of the 12 playwrights whose plays are selected for Mainstage production will receive a $50 honorarium.
The playwright who receives the most votes for Outstanding Contribution by a Playwright in the balloting for the Donna Awards will receive $500, to be awarded at the Gala in October. All playwrights will receive brief comments from at least two readers. For more information, please contact us at email@example.com or call 412-944-2NEW (2639)
Here are a few samples of the kind of feedback that you will receive from readers. These samples are from a variety of different judges and have a wide spread when it comes to the overall scores of the plays. Please keep in mind that the Festival is implementing a new training program this season for our readers to increase the overall quality of the feedback that you will receive. You will need the ability to open pdfs to view theses files. If you don’t currently have reader software, you can download Adobe Reader at no cost here.
- To be considered for inclusion in the festival, playwrights must submit ON OR BEFORE March 31, 2018.
- All submissions must be made through the online submission form. There is a $10 administrative fee ($15 administrative fee after February 28) (why is there a fee?) that will be collected at time of submission, payable online via PayPal (all major credit cards and e-checks accepted).
- All scripts must be uploaded in pdf format.
- Please be sure that your name does not appear anywhere on the submitted script. The judging is done anonymously.
- Plays previously submitted to the Festival may be resubmitted; plays reworked based on commentary received in previous years are particularly encouraged.
- Additional criteria for play submission include:
- No less than 15 minutes long
- No more than 45 minutes long
- Limited number of scenes and simple scene changes
- No more than eight actors
- No musicals
- Simple sets, costumes and props
- Plays may have been “read,” but never produced (workshops and readings are acceptable)
- Playwrights are limited to one submission each year
The Pittsburgh New Works Festival prohibits discrimination in employment, educational programs, and activities on the basis of race, national origin, color, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or associational preference.